The Children and Family Services Unit

Children and Family Services is a unit of the Department of Social Services and Gender Affairs. This Unit was established to promote the economic and social well-being of families, children, individuals and communities. Staffed with a support system of Programme Co-ordinators, Social Workers and Family Case Workers, it is the intention of the Children and Family Services Unit to provide the population of Tobago with a comprehensive service at no cost with no discrimination to age, sex, gender, race and religion.

What are the aims of the unit?

The Children and Family Services Unit aims to achieve the following:

  • Empowerment of families and individuals to increase their own economic independence and productivity.
  • To foster strong, healthy and supportive communities that have a positive impact on the quality of life and the development of children.
  • Form partnerships with individuals, front-line service providers, communities, community-based organizations, non-governmental organizations, religious organizations, the private sector and other stakeholders, that enable solutions, which transcend traditional agency boundaries.
  • To promote services that are planned, reformed, and integrated so as to improve needed access.
  • To foster a strong commitment to addressing the needs, strengths and abilities of people with developmental disabilities, the socially displaced, and the elderly.

What programmes are offered?

Children and Family Services Unit will act as a parent agency to the following Programmes:

What services are delivered?

The following are some of the services delivered:

  • Counselling to Individuals, Groups and Families
  • Linking and networking with Government, Non-Government and International Organizations
  • Visits to Offices, Homes, Schools and Field Visits
  • Housing Assistance
  • Burial Assistance
  • Children and Family Support
  • Money Management
  • Emergency Relief support

Who can the Children and Family Services Unit help?

  • Persons seeking advice.
  • Persons experiencing prob­lems/behaviors/situations/concerns that they cannot manage.
  • Persons acting on behalf of others who they feel may need assistance.

How to access the services?

  • Self referral/Walk in.
  • Letter of referral
  • Telephone referral

How can I contact the Children and Family Services Unit?

You can click here for contact information on the Children and Family Services Unit of the Department of Social Services.